Sunday, October 24, 2010

Lesson

My sweet 12 year old daughter had to teach the lesson in Young Woman's (the organization for our church's young girls) today.  It is stressful to teach your peers, but she has been preparing for a week and a half.  Her topic was on taking care of our bodies.  She was doing a great job on her own so I just let her be and offered minimal help and a lot of encouragement and prayers.  So this morning as she was sleeping I read through the lesson to make sure she had covered everything she needed to and was prepared.   The last part of the lesson was basically if you take care of your body your posterity will be safe and healthy.  I started crying immediately.  I have done a lot to care for my body all my life.  I have never participated in drugs, alcohol(none), smoking anything, etc....   I have tried to exercise and eat correctly.  Anyway I asked her what her plan was and she said she was going to skip it because it is not fair or true and she didn't believe it because of our Joshua.   It is true that your baby has a better chance if you do those things but definitely it does not ensure healthy happy babies.  Some very healthy women have children with challenges, some are not able to have any children, some women have their children die before birth, some have their children die due to tragic accidents.  We cannot ensure anything we just have to do our best to do what is best.  I don't know if I made sense just wanted to get this down because it bothered me and my daughter and I don't always have answers when my children need them.

2 comments:

  1. That reminds me of something my friend's wife said on her blog, on Cora's birthday a couple days ago. She talked about how sad she was for me, but then ended it with "But I know if I take care of myself everything will be okay." It was like a slap in the face. I, too, did everything I was supposed to do. I avoided even questionable things. I took care of myself better then than I ever have in my life.

    ((hugs)) I'm sorry that you guys had to deal with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post was a couple years ago, not days. lol and I no longer read her blog. She's really sweet in person, but several times she's said things on her blog that have just rubbed me the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete